How to upload your resume to a LinkedIn profile or add it to a job application. There are several ways to add your resume to LinkedIn. You can upload a resume directly to your LinkedIn profile or via Easy Apply on job applications.
Creating a custom resume for your LinkedIn profile is key to standing out in the job market. If the Featured section is disabled, you can still add your resume via the “Add Section” option.
LinkedIn can be a useful tool for getting your name out there and in front of the right hiring managers. It can also help when it comes to applying directly for jobs, especially the thousands featured on the site.
To take full advantage of these features, it’s a good idea to upload a resume to your profile. Here’s what you’ll need to do to upload a resume to LinkedIn.
Add your resume on LinkedIn
If you don’t have a resume ready, you can use LinkedIn’s download feature, which takes all the information you’ve included in your profile and converts it into a PDF resume.
However, the downloaded resume is probably not as aesthetically pleasing as a resume you created yourself and will likely be longer than you want. So, uploading a custom resume to your profile allows you to tailor your employment information to better suit the job you’re applying for so you stand out the right way. The same is true when applying for a job.
How to insert a resume in the LinkedIn profile
- Go to the LinkedIn website and log into your account if necessary.
- Click the Me tab in the top toolbar below your profile photo.
- Choose View Profile from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Scroll down to the Featured section and click the Add featured link if you haven’t uploaded anything in the section. If you did, click the plus icon in the top right of the box, to the left of the pencil icon. If you don’t see the Featured section, it might be disabled. If so, scroll to the top of your profile and select Add Section, then Featured, followed by Media. You can then proceed to step n. 6 of this guide.
- Otherwise, if you have the Featured section and clicked Add featured or the plus + icon, in the drop-down menu that appears, select Media.
- In the file upload window that appears, locate the resume document you want to upload. Click and select Open.
- A preview of the document will appear, as well as boxes to give your resume a Title and Description. Only the title is required.
- After filling in the title and description, please click on Save.
How to upload a resume to LinkedIn when applying for a job
- Once you’ve found a job you want to apply for, click or tap the job title to view the details.
- Click or tap the Simple Application For this to work, you need to choose Easy Apply, not Apply. If not, you will be directed to the hiring company’s job application portal. And your resume must be less than 2MB and be formatted in Word or PDF.
- Add the required information and under Resume, select Upload Resume.
- Choose the desired file from the pop-up window and click Open.
- Select Next and continue with the application until you reach the Review
- Choose Send question when six