Television is rapidly changing in the world with the herald of video streaming services such as Hulu, Netflix, Hotstar, Amazon Prime, etc. DTH may soon become a thing of the past. Video streaming services not only offer the best content, they also offer viewers a real choice. They can choose what they want from millions of TV shows, movies, documentaries, etc. The latest entry in the video streaming segment is the Amazon Fire TV Stick.
Amazon Fire Stick is an Amazon exclusive offering and offers a multitude of services such as Amazon Prime Video, Hotstar, Netflix, Gaana, and many more. But this isn’t the only highlight of the Fire Stick. I guessed it right. The Fire Stick remote comes with Alexa support. So you can just sit on your sofa and control everything through your voice. Incredible, isn’t it?
If you are planning to buy the Amazon Fire TV Stick or have already purchased it and are worrying about how to set it up, then sit back and relax. We’re here to help you with setting up your Amazon Fire TV Stick for the first time on your TV. Just follow these steps and the rest will be a breeze.
There are many reasons to buy an Amazon Fire TV Stick. It allows you to create a Smart TV from a regular TV and easily access all video streaming apps. Even if you have a smart TV, the Fire Stick’s interface is probably faster and less hassle than anything else pre-installed on your TV. More importantly, it is also economical. If you’ve purchased one and are ready to go, here’s everything you need to know about setting up your Amazon Fire Stick!
What you need to set up Amazon Fire TV Stick
But before we start this tutorial, we’ve listed everything we need to set up the Amazon Fire TV Stick below. These are the things you will need to set up and run the Amazon Fire TV Stick. Please note that these things will obviously not be included in your Amazon Fire TV Stick box these are:
- The first thing you need to do is make sure the Fire Stick works with your TV. You’re good to go and have HD (or higher) resolution and an HDMI port. You can get around the HDMI port requirement with the right HDMI to AV converter.
- You will need a good internet connection. Each video streaming app has similar minimum speed requirements. For example, Amazon Prime Video requires a 1Mbps connection for SD content. HD and Full HD increase the minimum speed to 3.5 Mbps and go up to 15 Mbps for 4K content. Of course, faster is better.
- Of course, you’ll also need the Amazon Fire TV Stick. It is currently priced at $ 39.99 for the 1080p version and gives you an additional € 10 for a 4K-capable device. Keep in mind that discounts and special offers are often available which make the Fire Stick even cheaper.
- Having an Amazon account already makes the installation process faster. When you buy the device on Amazon, you will be asked if you want to link the Fire Stick to your account.
How to set up Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Plug the USB cable into the power brick and the Amazon Fire TV Stick’s micro-USB port.
- Plug the Fire Stick into an HDMI port and plug the Power Brick into a nearby outlet. The cable in the box is quite long. But some may need an extra-long cable to meet their needs.
- Turn on the TV and use the Source button on the TV remote (not the Fire Stick remote) to open the correct HDMI channel. In some cases, the port will recognize the device and display “Amazon Fire Stick”.
- While your device is charging (this may take a few minutes), set up your Fire Stick remote. Insert two AAA batteries into the remote control. You find an arrow looking up on the back. Place your thumb on that mark and gently push to slide the back cover-up.
- To use the remote control, use the ring around the center button to navigate the user interface. Press the center button when prompted to accept a selection.
- Once the Fire Stick lever is selected, press the play/pause button to begin the installation process.
- First, select your language.
- You will then need to connect to a Wi-Fi network. The device automatically scans and lists nearby networks. Enter the Wi-Fi password (if required).
- If you’ve already linked the Fire Stick to your account, the device will ask you for confirmation.
- If not, you’ll need to add your account information. You can also create a new account if needed.
- Once the registration process is complete, you will be asked if you want to save the Wi-Fi password on your Amazon account. If you have or plan to buy other Amazon products, it might be a good idea to confirm here.
- You can also set up Parental Controls if needed.
You just finished setting up your Amazon Fire TV Stick.
How to install apps on Amazon Fire TV Stick
- On the homepage, go to the top menu bar and press right to go to the Apps section.
- You can scroll through the Feature apps or go right to find games and app categories.
- Click on an app you want to add to the Fire Stick and select Download.
- Note that not all apps are free.
- If you know what you are looking for, go to the Search section (by going left from Home in the top bar). Type in the name of the app and select the search result at the top. If the app is available, you will be able to download it.
That’s all you need to know about how to set up your Amazon Fire TV Stick!