iCloud Keychain: How to enable and use Apple’s system for storing passwords and credit cards on your devices. You can enable and edit your iCloud Keychain via a computer or mobile device.
iCloud Keychain saves a user’s passwords, credit card information, and other sensitive data and syncs them across all Apple devices. You can manually add or delete information from your iCloud Keychain at any time from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer.
iCloud Keychain can be enabled or disabled through the Settings app on an iPhone or iPad or System Preferences on a Mac.
From social media and shopping to internet banking and email, it can be a headache to have to remember and manually enter numerous account logins or payment information every time you want to log into a website, log into a Wi-Fi network. Fi or make a purchase. This is where iCloud Keychain comes in handy.
- What is iCloud Keychain?
- How to activate iCloud Keychain on an iPhone or iPad
- How to activate iCloud Keychain on a Mac computer
- How to add your personal information to iCloud Keychain
- How to find passwords saved on iCloud Keychain and add, change or delete them
- How to find credit cards saved on iCloud Keychain and add, edit or delete them
What is iCloud Keychain?
iCloud Keychain is Apple’s data management system that makes your accounts more easily accessible by saving passwords, credit cards, and other private information on all of your Apple devices.
The feature also remembers this information and can automatically fill it in on the apps and websites you use so you don’t have to do it manually. To use iCloud Keychain, you must first activate the feature.
How to activate iCloud Keychain on an iPhone or iPad
To enable iCloud Keychain on your iPhone or iPad, do the following:
- Open the Settings
- Tap your name at the top of the page.
- Tap iCloud and then Keychain.
- Enable iCloud Keychain by sliding the bar next to it to the on position, which will cause the bar to turn green.
You may be asked to enter your Apple ID password or your device passcode to finalize this process.
To disable iCloud Keychain on your iPhone or iPad, simply turn off the iCloud Keychain option illustrated above.
Note: If you’re having trouble enabling iCloud Keychain, you need to make sure you meet Apple’s minimum system requirements and also have two-factor authentication enabled. If not, you may be asked to create an iCloud security code to verify your ID.
How to activate iCloud Keychain on a Mac computer
On your Mac, you can turn on iCloud Keychain via System Preferences.
- Click the Apple menu at the top of the screen, then click System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Click Apple ID, then iCloud in the sidebar. On macOS Mojave or earlier, simply click iCloud in System Preferences.
- Select Keychain from the list of options on the right by clicking the box next to it. Make sure the box has turned blue and contains a checkmark; you may need to approve it by logging into your Apple ID.
To disable iCloud Keychain on a Mac, simply deselect the Keychain option from the list.
How to add your personal information to iCloud Keychain
Although iCloud Keychain has the ability to automatically fill in your information on certain websites and apps, you will need to create a contact card first so that the feature can work properly. Once you’ve created a contact card, you can start using the card by following these steps.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad, then tap Safari.
- Tap Autofill.
- Tap My Info.
- Select your contact card from the list of available contacts.
How to find passwords saved on iCloud Keychain and add, change or delete them
On iPhone or iPad
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad, then tap Passwords. On iOS 13 or earlier, tap Passwords & Accounts in Settings, then tap Website & App Passwords.
- If prompted, use Face ID or Touch ID to verify your identity and view saved passwords.
- To add a password for a website, tap the plus sign (+) at the top of the screen and fill out the resulting form.
- Tap a website from the list to view the saved password.
- You can remove a saved password by tapping Delete password from this page.
- To change your password, tap Change in the top right corner.
On a Mac computer
- Open the Safari app.
- Click the Safari menu at the top of the screen, then select Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Password icon in the new window.
- To add a password to the list, tap Add at the bottom of the window and fill out the resulting form.
- Select a website from the password list.
- To change a password, click Details with the website highlighted, change the password, then click Done.
- To delete a password for a website, click the website to highlight it, then click Remove.
How to find credit cards saved on iCloud Keychain and add, edit or delete them
On iPhone or iPad
- Open the Settings
- Tap Safari, then tap Autofill.
- Tap Saved Credit Cards to view the list of saved cards, which you’ll need to use Face ID to sign in.
- Swipe left on a card and press Delete to remove it from the list.
- Tap Add Credit Card to add a new card to the list.
- Tap a card in the list, then press Edit on the next page to edit its information.
On a Mac computer
- Open the Safari
- Click Safari in the menu at the top of the screen and select Preferences… from the drop-down menu.
- Click the AutoFill in the new window.
- Click the box to the left of Credit Cards to enable it with a checkmark if it is not enabled, then click the Edit button next to it.
- You will be asked to enter a passcode or to use Touch ID to view the list of saved cards.
- Click Add at the bottom of the window to add a new card.
- Click a card to highlight it in the list and double-click to change the specific information displayed for the card.
- Click a tab to highlight it, then click Remove at the bottom of the window to delete the tab.