You can’t understand the importance of making use of a VPN until you’re in a conundrum. If you’re subscribed to a streaming service like Netflix, you may not think of possible alienation from it at a period you didn’t expect.
If you’re traveling from one country to another, and you intend to use Netflix in that same country, you may find to your dismay that the content served is not what you expected. The other challenge is when you travel to a country where Netflix is not available. What will you do?
What is Netflix?
It is a streaming service that allows people to watch TV shows and movies without interruptions from adverts, as in the case of other cable networks. It is a subscriber-based service that people enjoy through the use of an Internet connection.
Netflix allows the downloading of TV shows and movies on iOS, Android, or Windows 10 devices. Once downloaded, these can be enjoyed without an internet connection.
This streaming service is one of the most popular worldwide. Almost every country is served by Netflix, but your geographic location determines which TV shows and movies you can get from Netflix. To this end, it is good to note that the available content could be minimal for some countries, so don’t be disappointed.
If you want more in case your location doesn’t have many movies on Netflix, you may resort to using VPN or Virtual Private Networks to make things better.
Are you using the wrong VPN?
It is easy to know when you’re using a VPN that won’t work with Netflix. You will see the following error on your screen:
“You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
It is simple and straightforward. Try any VPN recognized by Netflix, and you get this error. You need to make use of another VPN. In this article, we will also outline the best VPNs for Netflix.
What Happens when you Use a Netflix-compatible VPN?
If you make use of the right VPN, you will discover that using your Netflix abroad is quite simple. Once you’re connected, you will be given a new region with the IP that matches the VPN address. It is pretty much like saying you’re in Egypt, but you want to watch Netflix as if you’re in Maryland, USA. The right VPN can make it possible.
There’s no difference between a user who’s actually in a given country and one who makes use of a VPN to be in that location as well. There’s nothing wrong with using a VPN to spoof your geographic location when enjoying your favorite Netflix shows or movies.
How to Get Started on Netflix with a VPN
It is fairly simple to start making use of a VPN to connect to Netflix. We outline the ones that are reliable for Netflix below. Now, let’s examine the steps you need to take to set up Netflix with VPN.
- Sign up for a VPN. Pick one below.
- Download and install the app, making sure you have the correct version for your device; an Android phone or iOS, or even a Windows 10 laptop.
- Connect to the Netflix library that you want to use, and connect to one of the VPN servers in that country. In this case, if you traveled out of the UK, you must choose a UK server to access the UK Netflix.
- Visit the Netflix website and try to play a video. Did it play right away? If not, you may first clear your browser’s cache and cookies, then refresh the page you’re on, which is the Netflix website.
Which VPN is the Best?
We don’t know which of the five VPN listed below is the best. What we can tell you is that these are among the best for Netflix viewing.
- ExpressVPN: This service secures your data with encryption, and you can get support all day all week.
- NordVPN: Very popular and extremely fast, having more than 500 servers. It also offers strong security. This one is very reliable.
- Surfshark: This service is less expensive, but it is a very versatile service that’s also dependable. It helps if you need to connect many devices all at once.
- PrivateVPN: this one offers a very fast download speed for steaming sites and for torrents. You get apps and can make up to six connections.
- Hotspot Shield: Works for several Netflix libraries. It is security-focused and has the ability for high speed.
How to choose the right VPN
There are so many competing VPNs available online today. It could be challenging to choose the right one. Netflix is also on the lookout for VPNs and may cancel the service of a reliable VPN at any time, even if the service was good for you in the past. What are some of the factors you need to be aware of as you choose your VPN?
I have outlined them out here below:
- It shouldn’t log information about you. It keeps you anonymous.
- A good VPN is able to work with several Netflix libraries, and it should also work with other popular streaming services out there.
- It should provide reliable, high-speed internet connections.
- The encryption capacity must be strong, and other security features must accompany it.
- It possesses apps.
- It should offer good customer support or a knowledge-based support center.
What about free VPN, Are they suitable for Netflix?
Some Netflix users may be tempted to use free VPNs at times, for who doesn’t like freebies? Here are the reasons why you shouldn’t make use of them for Netflix.
- They don’t often have enough servers to cater to users, therefore you will encounter performance issues.
- Netflix is always blocking VPNs, and those that are the first target are the free services.
- They don’t offer HD streaming, which Netflix offers, so they won’t work in the first place.
- The free VPN may monitor users’ profiles or store their data. These can be sold to advertisers later.
- They usually lack encryption technology.
At the present time, the U.S has the largest Netflix library than any other region. You may decide to check them up and see what’s good. Saudi Arabia, on the other hand, has laws against the transmission of some type of materials, and that limits the number of Netflix content available in that country.
Whatever you do, know that Netflix has not banned the use of VPNs. Of course, using a VPN to watch a U.S Netflix show is also legal if you do it from another country.