Over the years, Apple’s native Maps app has greatly improved; now packs some amazing noteworthy features like Look Around and Bike Directions. However, it is still available exclusively for Apple devices.
But what if you use an iOS / macOS device together with a non-Apple device? What if you want to explore and use
Use DuckDuckGo to open Apple Maps on any non-Apple device
To use Apple Maps on Windows or Android, use one of the most popular privacy-focused search engines, DuckDuckGo. The platform uses Apple Maps as its default mapping software to maintain privacy.
So when you switch your web browser’s search engine to DuckDuckGo, you get almost unlimited access to Apple Maps; let’s see how:
How to use Apple Maps on Windows PC
- Open a web browser of your choice and go to DuckDuckGo.com.
- Type the location or address in the search bar and click go (magnifying glass icon).
- Here, select Maps from the option displayed just below the search bar.
- Click the tab specifications road to get directions road by car or on foot.
Note: The trick works with all popular web browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, and even Safari – no matter what device you’re using.
Apple Maps on Android
- Launch the web browser of your choice and open DuckDuckGo.
- Type the location or address to be mapped and touches the ‘ icon of the magnifying glass.
- Select the option Map and touches Indications road for driving or walking directions.
Note: Since your device does not have the Apple Maps app, the navigation will be diverted to Google Maps or any other map app you prefer.
Apple Maps Suggestions for Browser Viewing
Why stop and explore an area map when DuckDuckGo has some perks up its sleeve. Here’s what they are
Refine your search
When searching for a location or address, you can also narrow it down further based on particular points of interest such as restaurants, hotels, groceries, train stations, ATMs, etc.
This is pretty damn simple! Simply tap the small map image on the page to switch between Map and Satellite views.
In the version for smartphone or tablet, the platform automatically adapts to the system setting. And if you want the PC version to have a dark mode, click the hamburger icon ( three-line icon ) on the main page → All Settings → Appearance. Here, change the background color code to # 000000, and that’s it!
Apple Maps limitation on Android and Windows
While the integration of DuckDuckGo with Apple Maps allows you to view and explore maps, it does not offer a complete or comprehensive experience;
- No navigation: As explained above, the navigation part is diverted to Google Maps, Bing Maps, or Here Maps, depending on your settings.
- Cannot Plan a Route – You can’t track or pin a location via the web interface, so it’s pretty useless when it comes to route planning.
- No support for traffic or public transport: Although Apple offers these services in its Maps app, the web version, unfortunately, does not support the feature.
While it certainly seems intriguing and a little mischievous to use Apple Maps on Windows and Android devices, the limitations outweigh the benefits.
But since the process isn’t as complex or time-consuming and is more privacy-oriented than Google Maps, I suggest using it.