If you are a photographer, you already know that taking RAW photos let you edit them in future without tampering with its quality. With Apple ProRAW available on iPhone, this experience can be replicated while you keep using the company’s other photography smart features. See How To Shoot Photos In ProRAW On Your iPhone:
How Can I Shoot Photos In ProRAW On My iPhone?
What is Apple ProRAW?
If you are not aware, mobile devices like the iPhone make use of computational photography to enhance the appearance of the pictures they capture. Apple’s built-in Smart HDR, Deep Fusion, and Night Mode features make use of machine learning to capture higher resolution and clearer shots, even in terrible lighting situations.
Sadly, it is impossible to capture a true RAW picture and still use Apple’s smart tech. You can capture RAWs with an iPhone, however, it will not use any machine learning to enhance the photo before it’s captured. But with ProRAW, you should expect something between a regular iPhone HEIC or JPG and a RAW file that holds a record of what the sensor captured.
ProRAW is iOS’ custom, in-house RAW format. When taking pictures, the result is a 12-bit RAW DNG file with fourteen stops of dynamic range. Meaning, you are allowed to take advantage of the iPhone’s computational photography processing and still edit the picture properly after the fact.
As of now, the iPhone 12 Pro and the iPhone 12 Pro Max are the only 2 devices that aid ProRAW. It is also just available in iOS 14.3 and higher. But we can surely expect Apple to work on the expansion of ProRAW support to newer smartphones in the nearest future.
How Can I Turn On Apple ProRAW On My iPhone?
- Before phone owners can make use of ProRAW, they need to activate the feature. Even if the next thing to do is to launch the “Camera” app, you need to access the “Settings” app instead.
You Might Also Want To Read: How To Identify A Song On iPhone With Just A Tap Of Your Finger
- Use Apple’s built-in Spotlight search if you cannot locate the Settings app on your iPhone’s home screen.
- After that, swipe down and click “Camera.”
- You are now in your iPhone camera’s settings menu. Here, you can make adjustments to the video framerates, include grids to your preview and so on.
- Choose “Formats,” seen at the top of the list.
- Lastly, ensure “Apple ProRAW.” is toggled on.
Be aware that taking ProRAW photos, on your iPhone will take up more storage space than capturing regular pictures. If you do not plan to edit your photos, it is best to use the standard DNG format, especially if your mobile device is already running out of space.
How Can I Shoot RAW Photos In The Camera App?
- With Apple ProRAW turned on, you can now capture your photos. Launch the “Camera” application on your iOS device.
- While making sure that you are in “Photo” mode, click the crossed-out “RAW” icon seen in the top-right corner.
- When “RAW” is seen, photos will be taken in Apple ProRAW. Just click the shutter button to snap a photo.
- When you swipe through your photos in Apple’s “Photos” application, you will see a “RAW” label stamped on the top of the ProRAW photo.
You Might Also Want To Read: How To Switch Between 5G & 4G Networks on iPhone 12
In 3rd party applications such as Google Photos, the photo will not be visible as a RAW. Rather, you will need to access its properties and search for the DNG file extension.
That is that.