We’ll be walking through the steps to take if you would like to root OnePlus 6 and Install TWRP Custom Recovery.
OnePlus 6 is the latest installment in the OnePlus line of smartphones; Big brother and Successor to last year’s OnePlus 5. The phone went on sale not long ago and some people have already gotten their hands on the device. Now, if you are a fan of Custom ROMs, tweaks and tricks then you know the first thing to do is to root the device and flash a custom recovery.
We’ve gat you covered with this article on how to do just that to give you the freedom you need on your device. But first, you need to unlock the bootloader of your device. We’ve written a separate article how to unlock the bootloader of OnePlus 6. After you’re done with that, then we can now get started on how to Root OnePlus 6 and Install one the most popular recovery; TWRP.
Note: Make sure you are familiar with the rooting process before proceeding. You are doing this at your own risk and we will not be held responsible for any damage(s) this might cause to your device. Rooting also voids your warranty, just in case you did not know.
Before we begin, there are some things you will need to do;
- Make Sure you have ADB & FastBoot Drivers Installed on your PC.
- Make sure your Bootloader of your OnePlus 6 is unlocked. (Very Important)
- Battery Level should at 70% or more.
- Backup all your important data on your phone.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock in the Developer Options. (To do this, Go to Settings >> Developer >> Slide the button at the front of USB Debugging and OEM Unlock to enable them. Can’t find Developer Options in Settings ? Go to Settings >> About Phone or Device Info >> Keep Tapping on the Build Number Till you see the you’re now a developer pop up notification. Now go back to settings to see Developer)
- Download this OnePlus 6 Zip File and Extract its contents. This zip file contains other files we will need to carry out this procedure. These Files Include:
Now that we’re done with the requirements required to root OnePlus 6 and Install TWRP Custom Recovery, let get down to it.
How To Root OnePlus 6 and Install TWRP Custom Recovery
- Connect your phone to your PC using the USB Cable.
Now Go to the Folder where the op6-twrp.img is and Right Click on an empty space in the folder. Select Open Command Window Here from the Menu.
Input the following in the command Window: Adb reboot bootloader and hit Enter.
You might receive notification Asking you to allow USB Debugging, Tap Ok to allow it.
Minimize/Standby the command Window and Rename the op6-twrp.img to twrp.img.
Go back the Command Window and run the following command prompt: fastboot flash boot_a twrp.img and fastboot flash boot_b twrp.img
Once the Installation is completed then boot your device into recovery. To do this, Press and Hold the Volume Down Button and Power Button simultaneously.
Input your PIN or Password if you’re using any before being able to reach the TWRP recovery.
- The default language is in Chinese, to Change it to English Press and Hold the Volume Up Button and Power Button which will take you to fastboot mode.
You might be prompted to input PIN or Password. Do that and Navigate to Settings on the next screen. Click on the Globe Icon and Pick English. Now TWRP is now in English.
Navigate to Install and Select the op6-boot.img.
Once that is done Installing, Navigate to install again and select op6-TWRP-Working-Installer.zip. After that, do the same for op6-TWRP-Blue-FIX.zip.
In the same TWRP Menu, Click On Install and Select op6-Root.zip. Swipe to Confirm Flash and you’re done.
Wait for the process to be completed. Once it is completed, your phone will automatically reboot, if it doesn’t then reboot it manually.
That is how to Root OnePlus 6 smartphone and also install TWRP Custom Recovery.
Now you can flash any custom ROM you want or tweak your OnePlus 6 Smartphone whichever way you want. Also, remember to back up your data in order to avoid losing important files or app settings.
Got any questions? Leave a comment down below.