Whether you want to make a meeting shareable with your customers or play a memorable video chat with family or friends, Skype call recordings make it possible with a click of the mouse. Skype added the audio and video call recording feature in 2018 so you can save your calls for future reference.
Recording Skype calls is easy to do as long as all meeting participants know and agree to be recorded. This way, you can respect everyone’s privacy and avoid potential legal problems. We will walk you through how to record Skype calls on Windows, Mac, iPhone, and Android.
How to Record Skype Calls on Different Devices
The Skype call recording feature is available in desktop, mobile, and web versions so that you can use it on your PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, or iPad. Here are a few things to note before you start recording calls:
- Skype will notify all participants that the call is being recorded.
- You can only record Skype to Skype calls.
- For video calls, Skype combines all the streams in the recording, including yours.
- If you share your screen during the meeting, the recording will include the split-screen.
- The maximum duration of a call recording is 24 hours. If it is longer, the recording may be split into multiple files.
- When you leave a call, the recording stops automatically. It will be available for 30 days, during which you can save, listen or share with others.
How to Record Skype Calls on Windows 10
If you use a Windows 10 PC, the recording takes place in the cloud (Microsoft server), where it stays for 30 days, so you don’t need local storage to save it.
- To get started, open Skype and select the audio or video call button to start the session.
- Select the three-pointed button at the bottom right to open the menu.
- Then, select Start Recording, and Skype will start recording your audio or video call.
- Select the menu at the bottom right and select Stop Recording. Alternatively, select Stop Recording at the top left of the screen.
- Once the recording is stopped, you will see the audio or video conversation in the Skype chatbox. From here, you can save it, play it, share it, or download it manually to save it on your computer.
You can download or delete the Skype call recording.
- To download the recording, go to Recent Chats, select the conversation, and right-click on the recording to bring up the menu. Select menu> Save to download.
Choose the destination folder where you want to save the recording, give it a descriptive filename, then select Save. The file will be saved as an MP4 file.
- To delete the Skype call recording, go to Recent Chats, right-click the recording you want to delete, and select Remove from the menu.
- Select Remove to delete the recording from the Skype chat history completely.
How to Record Skype Calls on Mac
Recording a Skype call on a Mac is as easy as on a Windows 10 PC. Here’s how.
- Start the Skype audio or video call on your Mac. Select the + button at the bottom right of the screen, then select Start Recording to record the session. All attendees will be notified via a banner at the top of their screens that you are recording the current session.
- Just before the session ends, select Stop Recording at the top of the screen or end the call.
- Go to the chat and select menu> More options> Save to download to save the recording.
Note: You can also record your audio or video calls for free using the QuickTime player on your Mac. Open QuickTime on your Mac, select File> New Screen Recording.
Select the Record button to start Skype call recording, then select the Stop button to stop recording or press Command + Ctrl + Esc on your keyboard.
How to Record Skype Calls on Android
- To start recording Skype calls on an Android device, open Skype, tap the address book and select the contact you want to call.
- Then, tap the video or audio call button to initiate the call, then tap the three dots at the bottom right of the screen to open the menu.
- Tap the Start Recording button, and the call will be recorded. Your contact will receive a notification that you are recording the call.
- When the session is over, tap Stop Recording in the top left. Alternatively, tap the menu at the bottom and then tap Stop Recording.
The recording will be available for saving or sharing on the Skype chat timeline. To save, share, or remove the recording, touch and hold the recording in the chatbox to display the Save, Forward, or Remove options.
How to Record Skype Calls on iPhone
With just one tap, you can record Skype calls on your iPhone instead of trying to take notes to capture everything.
- To get started, open Skype and start an audio or video call with your contacts. Tap the three dots at the bottom right of the screen to open the menu.
- Tap Start Recording once the caller joins. At the end of the session, your registration will be available in the Skype chat area.
- You will receive a notification at the top left of the screen confirming that registration has started. Touch and hold the recording to save it to your device or share it with others.
Note: If you are not using Skype version 8.0, you may not be able to record audio or video calls. In this case, you can use a third-party app like free MP3 Skype Recorder, which works with Skype version 7 and is free for non-commercial use. Other such apps include Pamela for Skype and Evaer Skype recorder.