Unlike Android where you simply have to transfer an audio file from your computer to your phone and configure the song as a ringtone, the process is slightly more complicated for iPhone. It’s not impossible, even if the process could be long, it’s not even particularly difficult to create a personalized ringtone on iPhone.
How to use song as a ringtone on iPhone via iTunes
- Download and install iTunes and go to the Library
- Choose the song you want to turn into a ringtone. Keep in mind that iPhone ringtones are played in 30-second loops, so don’t worry about choosing a long song as it will still be cut.- ADVERTISEMENT -
- Right-click on the song, select Song Information and go to the Options tab
- Change the start and end times of the song where, if you wish, you can choose the favorite part of the song to use as a ringtone. Right-click on OK at the end.
- Go to File> Convert> Create AAC version
- Drag the AAC version of the song to the desktop for easy access
- Make click with the right mouse button on the file and change its extension to “.m4r ” that will make it recognizable.
- If you can’t see the extension during the process, in Windows, go to Control Panel> File Explorer Options and in the View tab uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer and open it on iTunes
- Select Tones from the left sidebar
- Drag and drop the.m4r file from the desktop and it should sync with your iPhone
- On your iPhone, go to Settings> Sounds and Haptics> Ringtone and you should see the ringtone you just uploaded. Select it and you’re good to go.
How to make ringtones for iPhone using GarageBand
If you want to put a song as a ringtone on the iPhone and it must be completely unique to you, you need to target Apple’s GarageBand which is bundled for free with each iPhone.
This method is a little more complicated and as you will be you must be the one to create the song, but assuming that you have all the requirements, the process of creating a song with GarageBand and converting it to a ringtone is quite simple.
- After creating your song in GarageBand, go to My Songs
- Tap Select, then tap the song you want to turn into a ringtone
- Tap the Share button in the lower-left corner of the app
- Select Ringtone
- Give it a name and tap Export
- On your iPhone, go to Settings> Sounds and Haptics> Ringtone and you should see the ringtone you just created. Select it and you’re good to go.