How to Create a Shortcut to an Application
You can do this the easy way by launching the Windows 10 Start menu. Search for the app you wish to create a shortcut to by scrolling through the Apps list on the lift side of the screen. When you find the app, drag it from there and drop on your desktop. Now, you should see the word “Link” when you hover over the desktop. Release the mouse button to create a link to the app. This is also known as a desktop shortcut.
Note: If you try to find the app by searching for its name in the Start menu, you will not be able to drag and drop anything from the search results. It should work but it doesn’t.
How to Create a Shortcut to a File or Folder
You can also create a desktop shortcut to a file.
- First, go to where the file is located in File Explorer.
- Next, press down the Alt key on your keyboard and then drag and drop the file or folder to your desktop. You should see “Create Link in Desktop.” Release your mouse button to create the link.
- You need to hold down the Alt key otherwise, what you will see instead is “Move to Desktop.” This will result in the file or folder being moved to your desktop instead of creating a link.
How to Create a Shortcut to a Website
You can easily create desktop shortcuts to websites when you are browsing in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- Simply launch the browser and go to the webpage you wish to create a shortcut to.
- Next, drag and drop the icon on the left side of the address bar to the desktop. It is usually a padlock or an “i” in a circle.
I don’t know why this doesn’t work in Microsoft Edge. Edge will not allow you to directly create desktop shortcuts. However, you can create these shortcuts in Chrome or Firefox. When you click them, they will automatically launch in your default web browser even if that’s Microsoft Edge.
Working With Your Shortcuts
You can rename whatever shortcuts you create by right-clicking on it and then click the “Rename” option. Type in whatever name you want and hit Enter.
You can also create shortcuts in folders. Want to create a shortcut to a website or application in your Downloads folder? You can do just that. Simply drag and drop the shortcut in your desired location instead of the desktop.
If you can’t find shortcuts on your desktops, they may be hidden. Simply right-click the desktop and click on Show Desktop Icons under View to unhide them.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below.