Microsoft launched Windows 10 in 2015 and has since silently replaced its previous versions- Windows 7 and 8. However, to enjoy all the features of Windows 10, you need to activate it. Without activation, you will not be able to download updates or apps on your system.
You will not be able to customize your desktop. You will be bothered periodically by messages asking you to activate your copy of Windows. It is essential to know if your copy of Windows 10 is activated. Here we show you three methods to check if Windows 10 is activated.
CHECK THE LICENSE ACTIVATION STATUS OF THE WINDOWS 10 OPERATING SYSTEM THROUGH THE SYSTEM WINDOW
One of the easiest ways to know if Windows 10 is activated is to check the system window. To do that, follow the steps below:
- Press the keyboard shortcut Win+ X and select the “Settings” option. Alternatively, you can also search for “Settings” in the Start menu.
- In the left pane of the Settings window, find the “Activation” section, if you don’t see it, use the box, look in the other center.
- At the top, in the Windows section, it shows details on activating your copy of Windows 10.
This window also shows the option to change the Windows 10 product key if you need it, such as when upgrading from one edition to another.
CHECK THE ACTIVATION STATUS OF WINDOWS VIA THE COMMAND PROMPT
You can also use the regular command prompt to check the Windows 10 license.
- To do this, press Win+ R, type cmdand hit the Enter button to open the command prompt. Alternatively, you can also search for Command Prompt in the Start menu.
- Once the Command Prompt window opens, enter the following command and press the Enter button- slmgr / xpr
- As soon as you hit the Enter button, Windows will pop up a new window showing the activation status. Since I’m using the Home edition on my laptop, it shows up as the Core edition. If you are using the Pro version, the change will be reflected in the window.
slmgr.vbs / dli to see the basic info of the installed Operating System.
slmgr.vbs / dlv to see the license details of the OS installed.
It’s one of the easiest ways to check if your copy of the Windows 10 operating system is activated.
FIND OUT IF WINDOWS 10 IS ACTIVATED USING THE RUN COMMAND
You can also use a run command directly with the Run program to check the activation status of Windows 10.
- Press the Win+ buttons R on the keyboard.
- In the search box, type slmgr.vbs –xpr and press Enter or click OK. Note that there is a space between vbs and -xpr.