When Amazon was unveiled in 1995, it was a site that sold just books. Within one month of its unveiling, Amazon had already shipped books to over 40 different countries. Since that period till 2020, Amazon has grown immensely and is now regarded as the world’s largest e-commerce company.
Its progress became clear in 2021 when Amazon alone accounted for about 44% of total e-commerce sales in the USA. Its transformation is undoubtedly down to investments in innovative technologies and practices, championed by the current richest man in the world, Jeff Bezos.
As Amazon has become the number one online shop for most consumers, this article will show you how to change or reset your Amazon account password to one that is a secure as it is important.
If you do not recall your Amazon password, or you are bothered about account security, altering or resetting your password is key. Fortunately for you, both processes are easy and fast to wrap up.
Your Amazon account is useful for a number of reasons, ranging from binge watching your favorite shows to online shopping. Amazon isn’t just the biggest e-retailer in the world, it is also a media conglomerate. Amazon offers an incredible array of goods at great prices. So, it is vital that you have a secure password that gives you access to the Amazon platform.
This article will show you how you can change or reset your amazon account password to one that is secure. If you currently have a weak Amazon account password, you should want to change it as soon as possible.
“Mypass1234” isn’t a safe password string for a website that you regularly visit. In fact, it is a weak password for a website like Amazon where you purchase a number of items including music and mouse.
You Might Also Want To Read: How to cancel your Amazon Prime membership
While changing your Amazon account password isn’t exactly a tough task, we understand that you may find it difficult getting it right. You may also find it difficult to find the right menu to click. The Amazon website has so many menus that you can lose your way quite easily.
It is advisable that you do this on the Amazon website instead of the mobile app. This is because the website is simpler and more intuitive to work on.
So, we have come up with this article to guide you on how to change or reset your Amazon account password.
How to Change Amazon Account Password
This option is not for users who have forgotten their password. You will be asked to provide your present password and your preferred new password. If you have forgotten your Amazon account password, you can skip this and scroll down.
Here is how to change your Amazon password
- The first thing you have to do is access your account settings. You can do this by clicking the Accounts and Lists located in the top bar of the website in the right corner of the search bar. Alternatively, and especially for desktop and laptop users, you can hover your mouse over the menu. Then, you should click on the Your Account button which is in the drop down menu that subsequently appears.
- Thereafter, you should click on the Login and Security menu. When you do this, you will see a list showing asterisks. These asterisks are bare-bone details of your password/account. Then, you will see an Edit button.
- Click the Edit button located by the password. After clicking the Edit button, you will see a new page opening up. This page will ask for your password.
- Type in your old password, then input your new password into the required fields on the new page. You will have to input your new password and re-enter the same password which is done to ensure that you are typing the correct password twice. When you have done this, select the Save Changes button. By now, you must have successfully changed your Amazon password.
An email confirmation will be sent to you informing you that your password has been changed, just in case you weren’t the one who did or you possibly forgot you ever did.
How to Reset Amazon Account Password
The Forgot Password option on the Amazon website is not very obvious. However, the moment you find it, it becomes really easy to do the rest.
Resetting your Amazon password is ideal when you can’t remember your current password. This option doesn’t ask for your old password, unlike when you try to change the password.
When you visit the Amazon website, you will find the Sign-in button.
- Click the Sign-in button on the Amazon screen. This brings up a screen where you are asked to fill in some required details alongside the ‘Forgot Password’ option.
- Click Forgot Password. Thereafter, you will be taken to a new screen that asks you to input your personal details such as a phone number or email address. You should input the email or mobile number you registered on Amazon with.
- You will now be shown a box for a One-Time-Password otherwise called OTP. Keep the tab open while you go to your email or phone as they would have sent you a unique password. Check your phone number or email account to get the password.
- Then, you should type the password into the box on the Amazon website. This should take you seconds.
- A new page will appear asking for your new password. You have to follow the guidelines which you will find below. Then, you input the details again in the below box.
- Head to the Amazon password assistance page and type in the email or phone number linked with your account.
- Type in the one-time password and choose “Continue.”
- Type in your new password.
That is that.
After you must have been through with this, you would have successfully changed your password. Subsequently, you have to use this new password to log in to the Amazon website when you visit the platform.
You are just a few steps from changing your Amazon account password. It is super easy to do as we have shown you above.
In a Wrap
If you have forgotten your password to the Amazon website, you have to click Forgot Password so you can change it to a new password that you can remember. This will be done by sending you an OTP via email to confirm it’s you. Hence, you have to reset a forgotten password.
The Change Password option is for those who deliberately want to change their password for various reasons. You may have a weak password or your security details on other websites might have been breached. This option, then, becomes important.
If you decide to change your password, Amazon asks you to input the former password and a new one.
Both processes are really straightforward and simple to complete.
Remember to use a combination of letters, numbers, and alphanumeric figures when choosing your password on all websites.
Now, you can change or reset your Amazon account password.