Apple provides 2 different generations of Apple Pencil, and they are both compatible with various iPads. However, because both are powered by a battery, you can expect them to run out of juice from time to time. When that happens, see the answer to your How Do I Charge My Apple Pencil question:
How Can I Charge My First-Generation Apple Pencil?
- Charging the 1st-generation Apple Pencil is not complicated. The first-generation Apple Pencil works with all iPads that come with a physical Home button and a Lightning port. If you need assistance with identifying which Apple Pencil you bought, be aware that the first-generation accessory is circular.
- It is paired and charged in like manner. Simply take your Apple Pencil and take off the cap from the top of the stylus. A Lighting connector will now be visible at the end of the Apple Pencil.
You Might Also Want To Read: How Do I Add Podcasts To My Apple Watch [iPhone/iPad]
- Just insert this connector into the Lightning port way down on your iPad. A ding will be heard and the Apple Pencil will begin to charge.
- Ensure the Apple Pencil remains plugged in and a complete charge will happen in about fifteen to thirty minutes.
How Can I Charge My Second-Generation Apple Pencil?
- Apple enhanced the charging experience with the second-generation Pencil and it is supported by newer iPad Pros and iPad Air. These iPads come with flat edges and they do not have physical Home buttons. The 2nd-generation Apple Pencil magnetically snaps to the side of the iPad, as it comes with one flat edge and a programmable button. And that is all you need to do to pair and charge your Apple Pencil.
- Simply put your Apple Pencil on top of your iPad and a banner will be visible informing you that the accessory is charging. The battery percentage will be visible too.
- Because this is the way to store and carry around your Pencil with your iPad, your Apple Pencil should never experience low battery.
- If you are eventually faced with low battery, simply attach it to the iPad and it will charge it up as soon as possible. You will also be notified when your Apple Pencil has a low battery.
How Can I See My Apple Pencil Battery Percentage?
- As you use a Pencil with your iPad, Apple will instantly add a Batteries widget to the “Today View” display. Simply scroll left to right on your iPad’s Home screen to reveal “Today View.” Here, scroll up to locate “Batteries.”
- You will see the battery levels of a connected Apple Pencil there.
- If you cannot locate the Batteries widget, simply add the widget asap. Click and hold an empty part of your Home screen to access Jiggle Mode.
- Here, click “+” button in the top-left corner of the display.
- From the widgets pop-up menu, select “Batteries.”
- The widget will be visible in 3 sizes. Use the Small or Large size if you want to view the battery percentage and then click “Add Widget.”
- The widget will be added to the end of the Today View. You can move it anywhere you want on the display. Scroll up from the Home bar to save the widget layout.
You Might Also Want To Read: How Do I Change The App Layout To A List On My Apple Watch
- You can now view the battery percentage of your Apple Pencil whenever you want, whether it is charging or not.
That is that.